The Supervised Independent Living (SIL)
Home is provided for young adult males ages 18-22 who have aged out of Kidz Harbor or other facilities but are still in the system. The purpose of SIL is to provide support for these young adults as they transition into independent living. They must possess a GED or high school diploma. Residents must be enrolled into college or trade school and/or employed or actively seeking employment. Currently, the following services are provided.
- Menu planning/grocery shopping
- Transportation to and from school and/or work
- Assistance with financial aid applications and college enrollment
- Drivers’ education
- Life skills training
- Budget consultation
- Assistance with medical and dental appointments
- Assistance with seeking employment and résumé building
This facility can accommodate up to 8 residents. Plans are currently being formulated in order to establish a similar home for females. Without this opportunity to receive support as they journey toward their independence, these young adults might be homeless.